1.24.2007

The Bird and The Bee

The beginning of any new year is often a nebulous and lackluster time for film/music. Most major artists have already released their new albums/films or are waiting until later in the year to do so. However, there is one January album release that I have been anxiously anticipating since last summer.

Last August, as I was driving the beautiful streets of Los Angeles around 2:00 AM one morning, I turned on one of my favorite stations for indie music (other than Indie 103.1 -check my previous music posting), KCRW, and was treated to an incredible sonic display. A light, ethereal voice swooped and soared around my car, accompanied instantly by a warm happy feeling. What was I listening to? Who was this entirely unique-sounding performer?

I scoured the internet until I found the KCRW playlist and learned that the song had been "La La La" by a group called The Bird and The Bee. I checked out their MySpace page and found out that the group was comprised of singer Inara George, a skinny brunette with a heavenly breathy voice (think a poppier Sia), and musician/composer Greg Kurstin. A side project for Inara (she released an album entitled "All Rise" in 2005, that I definitely need to check out), The Bird and The Bee were not releasing an album until January 23rd! I had so long to wait! So I chatted a bit with Inara about their plans (some shows in L.A., a Carson Daily Show appearance), and began sadly biding my time.

The wait, my friends, is over! The Bird and The Bee's self-titled album is finally out and let me tell you, it was worth the wait. Their blend of beautiful vocals and harmonies, upbeat yet somehow dissonant and often melancholy melodies, and fine musicianship bring an entirely unique sound to the indie/pop forum. It has a futuristic sort of feel to it without being electronic-y, and the songs are very catchy. My favorite tracks are the aforementioned "La La La," the stunning "I'm a Broken Heart," the very poppy and satisfying "I Hate Camera" and the understated and lovely "Birds and the Bees" (I'll give anybody a blog shoutout if they can tell me what Broadway musical song opens with the same 2 chords as this song. Hint- It's from the 1970's and I love it.)

If you haven't gotten into any new music in 2007 yet, let this album start off your year on the right foot. For its wonderful, original sound, its repeat listenability, and its strong musicianship, I happily give this album an A

You can check out some of the tracks for free on the band's MySpace Page.

No comments: